Being spiritually resilient


Ronan Scully
Article from http://galwayindependent.com/


Spirituality can help you feel connected to something bigger than yourself and build resilience at the same time. Your spirituality can involve whatever beliefs and values give you a sense of purpose. For many, it may be a relationship with God and certain religious practises. For others, spirituality plays out in non-religious ways, such as through a focus on family or nature. However you express it, spirituality can promote healthy connections with others, healthy lifestyle choices and the strength to endure hard times. Whether expressed through prayer, meditation, or in other ways, being spiritual is important to building resilience.

At times in our life we can find ourselves mentally and physically stretched to the limit. We feel our life is like a tight ball of stress and worry. How can we go about regaining our true shape or true strength? For me, being spiritually resilient is the answer. Being spiritually resilient gives me the capacity to be flexible, adaptable and face up to the worries and stresses in my life. Been a spiritual person has helped me to face and overcome problems with courage and determination, and it has given balance to my life.

I’ve seen it help others, too. Spirituality helps people endure unbelievable suffering and live to tell the tale! It's what lifts people up. It's what makes us strive. It's the mysterious strength we all have - the ability to endure anything, dream anything and accomplish great things. And we need that spirit now more than ever as we face into many worries, stresses and unknowns in our future.

Put the glass down

A psychologist walked around a room while teaching stress management to an audience. As she raised a glass of water, everyone expected they'd be asked the 'half empty or half full' question. Instead, with a smile on her face, she inquired: "How heavy is this glass of water?" Answers called out ranged from 8oz to 20oz.

She replied, "The absolute weight doesn't matter. It depends on how long I hold it. If I hold it for a minute, it's not a problem. If I hold it for an hour, I'll have an ache in my arm. If I hold it for a day, my arm will feel numb and paralyzed. In each case, the weight of the glass doesn't change, but the longer I hold it, the heavier it becomes."

She continued, "The stresses and worries in life are like that glass of water. Think about them for a while and nothing happens. Think about them a bit longer and they begin to hurt. And if you think about them all day long, you will feel paralyzed – incapable of doing anything."

It’s important to remember to let go of your stresses. As early in the evening as you can, put all your burdens down. Don't carry them through the evening and into the night. Remember to put the glass down!

Thought for the week
As your thought for the week, remember to put the glass down!

If you enjoy reading my column each week then you will be glad to know that I am launching my new book, 'TIME OUT' in the Hotel Meyrick Hotel on Thursday 23 May at 7pm. Everyone is invited. 

Ronan Scully
Article from http://galwayindependent.com/